These Turkey and Black Bean Taco Croquettes are all of the best things about tacos, rolled into a bite-sized mashed potato ball and baked until crisp on the edges, and soft and cheesy on the inside.
STOP THE PRESS. I have outdone myself.I have created the appetizer to top all appetizers. You know how I said my Healthy Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls were the perfect game day snack? Well, don’t get me wrong, they’re good, but these? These seriously cannot be beat.
If you have never had a croquette, it is basically potatoes and cheese that is rolled into a ball, breaded and deep-fried. If that doesn’t sound amazing you can get out, because it is straight up snack perfection.
These Turkey and Black Bean Taco Croquettes take that perfection, and make it even perfecter. (Shut up, it’s a word.) Who doesn’t love tacos? The answer is nobody, because EVERYBODY loves tacos. Just stop for a second and picture this: mashed potatoes. taco meat. black beans. cheese. tortilla chips. All combined in little bite-sized balls of perfection. Don’t worry, I’m feeling a little flushed, too.
Even better, these are baked instead of fried, which tooootally compensates for the cheese and tortilla chip crumbs, right? …We can tell ourselves that’s the case.
This recipe also makes a ton (I got 28 croquettes out of it!), so it’s perfect for Football Sunday get-togethers. The croquettes are super substantial as well, packing 6.6 grams of protein and 1.5 grams of fiber each. Gotta love an app that brings it to the table nutritionally (literally brings it… to the table #badfoodpuns).
The only caveat I have in regards to these croquettes (besides “try and keep from eating them all, mwahahaha!”) is if you’re going to reheat them, make sure to use the oven and not the microwave. That way, they maintain their wonderful crispy texture. The microwave makes them a little soggy.
Now go forth, young potato and taco lovers. Turkey and Black Bean Taco Croquette perfection awaits you.
- 2 medium russet potatoes, baked
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb ground turkey, cooked with taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1⅓ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup tortilla chip crumbs (coarsely crushed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin by mashing the baked potatoes with the butter and milk. The resulting texture should be very thick and sturdy (more so than typical mashed potatoes).
- Add the mashed potatoes to a large mixing bowl along with the black beans, Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese and eggs. Mix well, mashing the black beans as you go (I kept about half the black beans somewhat in-tact).
- Once that is mixed well, fold in the tortilla chip crumbs and the taco meat.
- When everything is thoroughly combined, roll the mixture into golf ball sized balls (you may have to handle it more like hamburger meat, as it can get a little crumbly when you roll it). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until crispy on the outside and golden brown.