Vibrant in both color and taste, this Thai Peanut Chickpea Pasta Salad offers fantastic flavor for minimal effort.
Let me tell you guys, this week has been the week from hell. Do you ever just feel like a shining beacon for bad luck? Because my luck has been laughably awful lately. And it all began by waking up on Monday, convinced it was a Wednesday (the actual worst way to wake up, if we’re being honest).
I think we can all agree that the very last thing you want to do after a week like that is cook. Or, really, do anything that requires more effort than it takes to press “play” on the remote before you retreat into a state of Netflix binge watching and avoiding the world.
Well, I’ve got great news: this Thai Peanut Chickpea Pasta Salad is the easiest thing you could possibly make. The veggies take just a couple of minutes to chop up, and then its just a matter of throwing everything into a bowl and mixing up all that flavor.
Not only is this salad easy, it’s also healthy AF. Chickpeas and chickpea pasta (my favorite brand of gluten free pasta, Banza) make up the base, and a healthy dose of veggies add crunch and extra nutrients. And the sauce – oh man, you guys. I make a sauce similar to this for simple Thai-inspired noodles using coconut milk, but I wanted it to be a little thicker for the salad.
Enter: coconut milk yogurt. Plain coconut yogurt (dairy free!) is seriously the perfect base for this salad. It’s sweet enough to balance out the soy and sriracha, without busting your sugar allotment for the day.
This salad keeps well, and would be a perfect make-ahead lunch for the week.
Thai Peanut Chickpea Pasta Salad
|Yield: 6-8 servings|
This Thai-inspired pasta salad is the perfect easy-to-make, nutrient-packed lunch.
- 1 box (8 oz) pasta shells, cooked
- 2, 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 medium head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 english cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1, 5.3oz container plain coconut milk yogurt
- juice from 1 lime
- First, whisk together your sauce ingredients: hot water, peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, honey, ginger, lime juice and yogurt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, chickpeas, cabbage, cucumber, cilantro and carrots.
- Add the sauce to the bowl, mix well, and serve!