The ultimate breakfast or brunch to impress, this Savory Sausage & Caramelized Onion Galette is the perfect mixture of sweet and savory, all folded into a light and flaky crust.
You know how in the Harry Potter books they’re always eating meat pies and pasties? Oh wait, you don’t know? Neither do I, then… in fact, I definitely don’t read the entire series through once year every year… Moving on.
(But really if you haven’t read Harry Potter I don’t know if we can be friends unless you get on that RIGHT NOW. It’s like #3 in essential qualities I look for other people. Must love dogs? Nah. Must love Harry Potter.)
ANYWAY. In the books. Meat pies. Pasties. This recipe reminds me of them, even though I’ve probably never had a legitimate meat pie OR pasty (unless we’re counting miniature Chicken Pot Pies, in which case I’ve consumed a probably shameful amount).
Galettes seem to be thoroughly inundating the food blogosphere, but 99% of them are straight up fruit & sweetness. Especially in the morning, I’m generally not a sugar kind of gal (even natural sugar – I’m just more of a savory person!), so I wanted to create a galette that was still true to its fruit-filled roots, but a little more geared toward my tastes.
The filling of this galette is composed of caramelized onions cooked with sage sausage, then topped with apple slices and baked until flaky, golden perfection.
I didn’t use cheese for fear of it becoming too pizza-y, but if you feel so inclined, I think goat cheese would amazing. I am almost certainly adding some the next time this baby’s on the menu.
The recipe for the crust was mildly adapted from this recipe from White on Rice Couple. I subbed normal flour for Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour and ended up using about twice the amount of water. But let me tell you – it is the crust of dreams.
- For the crust:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ stick butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cold water
- For the filling:
- ½ lb sausage of choice
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- To prepare the dough, add the flour, butter and salt to a food processor and pulse until the butter is mostly combined and in tiny pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and cold water. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour mixture and egg mixture, stirring until a dough ball forms. You will almost certainly have to use your hands to incorporate all of the flour.
- Divide the dough ball into two separate pieces, and refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until brown and cooked through, breaking up thoroughly.
- Then add the thinly sliced onions, and cook until caramelized and reduced, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the dough fro the refrigerator and roll each piece out on a floured surface, creating two 10-12 inch crusts. Place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Divide the onion and sausage filling between the two crusts, spreading evenly and leaving 1-2 inches of dough around the edges.
- Add the apple slices over the top of the filling, and then carefully fold the dough over to create your crust.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and crisp.