Perfect for meal prep or lunch in a pinch, these Quick Curried Chickpea Wraps are packed full of enough protein and fiber to carry you through your busy day!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that over the weekend I had the best Bangladeshi chickpea curry at the Farmer’s Market. The curry flavors were pretty standard, but it was served with this absolutely amazing spiced yogurt sauce that really made the dish.
I’ve used nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves in other savory dishes (Beth’s from Budget Bytes Chicken Shawarma marinade comes to mind) but it had never occurred to me to use it alongside curry.
Well, my friends, the times are a-changin’, and this yogurt sauce is here to stay.
The black rice (also called forbidden rice) is sweeter, chewier and nuttier than your standard rice, and adds a great contrast to the other flavors in the dish. You could certainly use white or brown rice, or really any grain that you have on hand. Convenience/saving money > obscure ingredients any day. (That said, the forbidden rice is just SO pretty, isn’t it?)
You’ll notice in the curried chickpea ingredients I list honey. I don’t generally use honey when I make these, but I recently picked up a different brand of curry powder (from Trader Joe’s!) and it’s quite a bit spicier than the McCormick’s curry powder I usually use.
I added about 1 tbsp honey to balance out all that flavor. I’d recommend cooking the curry without the honey, and if at the end the spice seems overwhelming, add some honey to taste.
These Quick Curried Chickpea Wraps are ideal for meal prep, because while this recipe is for 2 wraps, it makes a LOT of curried chickpeas. Enough to keep handy in your fridge to use for wraps throughout the week (or just eat straight out of the bowl – trust me, it’s hard not to!).
- For the chickpeas
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey (to taste)
- For the yogurt sauce
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 shakes nutmeg
- 1-2 shakes cloves
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the wraps
- 2 tortillas
- 1 cup forbidden rice, cooked
- 2 cups greens
- First combine all of the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in a small bowl, and refrigerate until ready to assemble the wraps.
- Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas, tomato sauce, veggie broth and spices to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer uncovered until the sauce has reduced a little and thickened.
- Taste - if the spice is overwhelming, add up to 1 tbsp honey to taste.
- To assemble the wraps, spread half the yogurt sauce over a large tortilla/wrap, and add ½ cup of rice, ½ cup of the curried chickpeas, and 1 cup of greens. Roll up burrito-style and enjoy!