Looking for a healthier, lighter game day snack to impress? These sweet-spicy Mango Sriracha Turkey Meatballs have got you covered.
I’ve never been a huge sports person. I don’t hate sports, and can definitely get into a good game now and then, but I’ve never really developed the die-hard allegiances that seem to fuel sports fans. (I may or may not be known to root for teams based off of their mascots alone… Cat teams all the way!)
But despite my “Play ball, win points!” indifference, I LOVE football season, because I LOVE snacks.
Football season especially boasts an abundance of so-bad-but-so-good apps, shared amongst friends to help soak up the requisite celebratory (or conciliatory) beer. Nachos, mozz sticks, poppers, dips, chips, chips & dips. Seriously, what’s NOT to love? …Besides the subsequent bloating and probable hangover following your sodium-and-beer fest, of course.
These Mango Sriracha Turkey Meatballs are super light, and the sauce is an incredibly simple and fresh combo of fresh mango, sriracha and a few other pantry staples, making for a guilt-free healthy game day app.
The sauce for these meatballs was actually inspired by B-Dubs Mango Habanero wings. If you’ve ever had them, you’ll know that they are hot. Not just hot, but H-O-T. I can be kind of a masochist sometimes when it comes to spicy food, so even though I know I’ll end up sniffling into my napkin, I still order them from time to time. There’s just something about the sticky sweetness and the heat that I can’t say no to!
Never fear, though. These Mango Sriracha Turkey Meatballs are a much, MUCH tamer rendition. They’ve still got a bit of heat, but a level that should be acceptable for just about anyone. If you’ve got kids or are particularly sensitive to spicy food, you can always reduce the amount of sriracha to start and find a comfortable level of heat for you. This recipe is super customizable when it comes to that, because I know that while *I* am ok shedding a tear or two over spicy food, the rest of the world, probably, is not.
Mango Sriracha Turkey Meatballs
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 20 meatballs||Total:|
A little sweet and a little spicy, these meatballs are super simple and super healthy.
- For the meatballs:
- 1 lb 93/7 ground turkey
- 1.5 inches ginger root, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- For the mango sriracha sauce:
- 2 mangos (peeled and diced)
- 3-4 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sherry cooking wine
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice from 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a mixing bowl, and use your hands to thoroughly combine.
- Form the meat mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, add all of the ingredients* for the mango sriracha sauce to a blender or food processor and pulse until completely smooth.
- When the meatballs are done, add the mango sriracha sauce to a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until heated through. Add the meatballs and stir to coat.
*If you are sensitive to heat, start with just 1-2 tbsp of sriracha and adjust accordingly.