These Healthy Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls are the perfect game-day alternative to the butter-drenched wings and deep fried snacks that abound this time of year.
I don’t know about you, but the boyfriend and I get really excited for football season. Him because of, well, football. (Weird, right?) But me? I get excited for the SNACKS! I am a notorious snacker, and to be honest, I’ll take an evening of snacking over a big meal more times than not. Football season only encourages my snacking habits.
And while I love a good, cheesy, so-bad-but-so-good mozzarella stick and nacho plates piled high with everything good in life, it’s nice to have an arsenal of not-so-bad-for-you treats to prepare while certain individuals shout passionately at television screens.
These Healthy Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls totally fit the bill.
Baked not fried and filled with fresh jalapeños, black beans and a not-deplorable amount of cream cheese, these egg rolls will definitely be making their rounds in my kitchen for the next few months.
And let’s just talk about the sauce for a second. The sriracha greek yogurt sauce I threw together to accompany them is SUPER easy and compliments these so well. I had initially wanted to use a jalapeño jelly as the dipping sauce for these (and honestly, I think it would be amaaaazing), but this greek yogurt sauce is an even healthier option, and definitely doesn’t skimp on flavor.
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- 1 15 oz can drained and rinsed black beans
- 4 diced jalapeños, seeds removed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp sriracha
- ⅛ tsp salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To create the filling, add the black beans, jalapeños, cream cheese and shredded cheese to a mixing bowl and stir gently to combine.
- Create an egg wash by adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the egg and mixing thoroughly.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of the mixture to each egg roll wrapper (it should be positioned like diamond). Brush the top corner of the wrapper with the egg wash. First fold the side corners in, followed by the bottom corner, and then roll. Brush the tops of each egg roll with additional egg wash, and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the greek yogurt, sriracha, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.