Are you as crazy about brussels sprouts season as I am? Change up your breakfast taco game with these autumn-inspired Brussels Sprouts, Bacon and Black Bean Breakfast Tacos.
So I have a confession to make: I am not about Taco Tuesdays.
I mean, sure, the idea of tacos ANYDAY is enough to put a smile on my face and a skip in my step, and if you all want to dub Tuesday international Taco day, I guess that’s fine. I’m happy to partake.
But my college town (and the town I live in currently) is famous for its 2-for-1 margarita Wednesdays. I have spent roughly 7 years of my life associating hump day with maybe one-too-many libations, and maybe one-too-many tacos to soak it all up.
Which is why, on this chilly autumn Wednesday, I bring you: Brussels Sprouts, Bacon and Black Bean Breakfast Tacos.
Talk about combining all of the best things, right?
I LIVE for brussels sprouts season. They just scream “fall” to me, and they’re so versatile. Such a fun way to mix up standard veggie dishes! Also they’re essentially miniature cabbages, and who doesn’t love all things miniature?
We all love tacos, but breakfast tacos are a whole different ball game. I mean seriously – I have a Ron Swanson & Leslie Knope affinity for breakfast food, so breakfasting any kind of food automatically makes it better in my book. “Put an egg on it!”
Scrambled eggs work well with these tacos, but that over-easy egg? Break the yolk just before devouring and it is the PERFECT replacement for sauce/salsa. Warm, yolky, luscious salsa.
- 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 4 eggs
- 8 small tortillas
- Heat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced bacon and cook until desired doneness. Removed with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
- Empty most of the bacon grease from the skillet, keeping about a tablespoon.
- Return to heat and add the shredded brussels sprouts. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, and push the skillet contents to the outer edges, leaving room to scramble your eggs.
- Cook your eggs in the center of the skillet, then stir to combine, adding the bacon back to the pan.
- Serve in warm tortillas with hot sauce, if desired.