These super-easy Black Bean & Roasted Chickpea Tostadas make the perfect protein-packed vegetarian dinner.
Tostadas are a favorite meal in my house – so quick to throw together, and like a nachos-taco hybrid, so obviously what’s not to love about that? Taco Tuesday? More like Taco Everyday am I right?
As tostadas are generally a “we forgot to plan dinner and/or are feeling supremely lazy” kind of meal for us, they tend to follow the same basic prescription: canned refried beans, shredded cheese and veggies. Not the most inventive meal in the world, and not to mention the sodium content in refried beans is borderline appalling.
These Black Bean & Roasted Chickpea Tostadas are exponentially more exciting, AND exponentially healthier.
Roasted chickpeas are one of my favorite guilt-free snacks, add a fun crunchy component to these tostadas. You can flavor them however you like, but I stuck with a simple mixture of chili powder, paprika, cumin and cayenne.
As a base, I threw a can of black beans, some feta cheese and lime juice into a food processor and blended until mostly smooth before quickly heating up in the microwave. I cannot get enough of the black bean and feta combo, and feta is strong enough in flavor that a little goes a long way.
I ended up topping these with beloved sriracha, but the boyfriend and I both agreed that a green salsa would have been an amazing addition.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tbsp cumin
- ⅛ tbsp cayenne
- ⅛ tbsp paprika
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- juice of 1 lime
- tostada shells
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse your chickpeas and pat very dry with a paper towel. Toss with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika and cayenne to coat, and roast on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, or until crispy.
- Add the black beans, feta cheese and lime juice to a blender or food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth. Heat for 2 minutes in a microwave, or on medium-low heat on the stove until warm.
- Build your tostadas by layering ¼ of the black bean mixture on each tostada, and top with roasted chickpeas and toppings.